15 April 2013

Batman Cake


So once again, my sons birthday comes around and he asks for something simple........a Batman Cake!!
Sure, no problem. I googled batman cake, and all that came up was the Batman Logo/symbol, you know the one with the silhouette of the bat?

I was keen to do that, easy. Then my dear husband has his input. "Sweety, you did the Spiderman cake and that turned out great, its the same thing!" And so, guilt ridden, I search again for a cake that I could copy. Alas no luck. So I googled Batman line drawing and I finally found the picture below. I printed out an A4 sized drawing.

You will need: 
Slab cake ( I bought 2 small rectangular sponge cakes at the supermarket and placed them together in order to get the size I want)
Food colouring (Black, yellow, red, blue, green)
Butter cream (See Nigella cupcake in this blog for recipe) 
Ready made White Icing
Patience





 
Batman Cake
Print A4 desired size, I printed A4
Cut out template
Place template on cake, and carefully, using a sharp knife, cut out shape.
Then add a layer of icing onto cake (crumb coat) Place in freezer for approx 15 minutes, then apply another coat of icing. Use knife or spatula to carefully "carve" icing to keep its shape.

Place on cake and using a sharp knife, cut around template.
Then add a layer of icing

Use template to cut out icing.

Roll out icing (prepare according to packet instructions). Use template to cut out shape. Use a sharp knife, and carefully cut out the mouth area. Keep this piece aside. I cut the mask into 3 pieces, for easier handling. The lower neck area, ears and cheek, then forehead (and eyes). Carefully cut them out. Using a paint brush, and the black food colouring, paint the pieces. Do not saturate the brushes, rather dip and use a little colour at a time. Once you've painted each piece, place it onto the cake.
Place each piece onto cake.

Paint the eyes yellow.

Now the trickiest part was making the skin tone colouring. 
Heres how:


1. Create brown food coloring by mixing equal parts red and green food coloring in a small bowl.

  • 2.Add several drops of red food colouring to another bowl. Add water and mix, until light pink.
    3. Then add, literally, a drop of brown colour into the light pink. I used a paintbrush and tested it on a piece of icing until I reached the desired shade.

    Once you have the colour, paint the mouth piece and place onto cake.

    For the mouth, I traced the shape onto the mouth piece. Rolled out a tiny piece of icing and placed it on. Paint the mouth.

    Add the painted eyes. 
    ...and now you have a Batman Cake



    ENJOY








  • No comments: